Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 5, 2009

Hazards of being an early childhood teacher

Next week is the last week at my child care for one of my families. This is a family I've had for 4 years. I got the oldest boy when he was 4 months old, and then his little brother when *he* was 4 months. The oldest is starting kindergarten in the fall and they will both be going to a new child care, so they are starting now to have time to adjust to the new setting.

I love all the kids I care for, though some of them do frustrate me sometimes. But sometimes there are certain ones that just really grab your heart. These boys are my boys. The family is wonderful to work with. The mom and I get along great. They have always been very respectful and appreciative of me. They are dependable and I've developed a really close relationship with them.

This is one of the hazards of my job, if you could call it a hazard. It's hard to spend so much time each day with a child and then have to say goodbye. And often you don't really see them much, and the kids were so young while they were in your care that when you happen to run into them they sort of remember you, but have grown shy.

Some of them move away and actually don't see them again.

It helps to know that whether they remember you or not, you HAVE made an impact on them and who they will become. Who knows, maybe Cason, who played every day with the stuffed animals and doctor kit will be a Veterinarian someday? Or Summer who climbed on anything and everything will be a gymnast.

And just maybe they'll remember to use walking feet in the house and running feet outside, and gentle hands with their friends and words to solve conflict.

It's worth the hazard.


BlogSig

No comments: