Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Around the World

Now that it's summer time my curriculum gets a little more...breezy. We still do calendar and reading and such, but the art projects and focused activities ease up a bit so we can spend time outside. Of course there are lots of teachable moments, and I love to capitalize on those, but all in all it is much more laid back and "take-it-as-it-comes" in the summertime.

Summertime is also when I start planning for the school year. Assessing what we've done the past year, the ages and stages of the children, and planning what to do next year.

Yesterday I came across Little Passports. It's a subscription program where each month you receive a packet of information about a new country, activities, images, a souvenir, and a letter from "Sam and Sofia" who travel around the world. The subscription is $10.95/month (including shipping), which I think is a great deal. However, it is designed for children ages 5-10 years old, so it doesn't really work for the ages I work with.

Well, my mind started racing and I think I've figured out a way to come up with my own monthly activities, similar to Little Passports, but geared more toward 3-5 year olds. We could make passports and each month "visit" a different country, learning about things such as their clothing, foods, games, homes, landscape, animals, etc. Ever since then ideas have been flooding into my head and I think this is going to be an ongoing project this next year. I may develop it into a workshop as well.

I have lots of other curriculum ideas floating in my head this summer that I want to get started on getting ready for September. I will post pictures and explanations as I develop them.


BlogSig

No comments: