Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 3, 2009

BLAST OFF!!

This week we talked about Independence Day and did a related creative art activity and craft activity.

We of course talked about fireworks a lot so for art we made fireworks in the night sky pictures. To prepare I gathered bendy straws in my hand and once I had them even I wrapped masking tape around them to hold them together, then bent each of them out. I wish I had taken a picture! The result was a large 'stamp' with a long handle on top (the longer part of the straws) and a kind of octopus look on the bottom. I made one for each color of paint we would be using. After setting them out with paper plates with the paint on them the children chose which colors they wanted to use and stamped them onto black paper. Here's the result:


We also made rocket puppets to use as props with the following rhyme:

Little red rocket,
Ready to go.
Start your countdown,
Nice and slow.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6,
5, 4, 3, 2, 1...BLAST OFF!

I got the pattern and rhyme from the website for The Mailbox Magazine in the companion pages section. For the little ones I cut the rocket out ahead of time. The older children cut theirs themselves. Because I work with a mixed age group this is common for me to do.

Our puppets put together:

Once they were done we started with them down near the ground as we recited the rhyme, gradually getting louder and louder as we counted down then blasting off at the end.

I hope everyone has a fun, safe, 4th of July!!




BlogSig

No comments: